Beyond my current income source and knowledge (web User Interface Design, Content Management, SEO and Online Ads), I admit that I do not have all the knowledge and expertise to make money online. In the end, I’m tempted to believe that its nearly impossible to make any sort of significant income from ads on your blog or website. Or if you do, it can be at the expense of solid design and usability, which I’m personally not okay with.
Instead, the most successful online business models focus on:
- Developing a solid business plan with a unique, targeted offering – “free”-mium tends to work well these days
- Work with others – You need to get other experts to help
- Invest your own or other’s money into development – its nearly impossible to do anything significant without pouring some dough into it
- Use social tools, SEO and the works to get your product out there. Don’t disregard traditional marketing channels
From my experience so far, this blog and my use of social media has offered me a way to connect with other like-minded people, focus my efforts, keep me on track, and helped to refine my writing skills.
All that being said, the following list offers some great starting points as to whether it is or is not possible to make and earn money online.
Resources for How to (or How Not to) Make Money Online with Your Website or Blog
- Daily Blog Tips – 28 Ways to Make Money Online with Website – From PPC to Paid Posts, this describes the features of many online paid options
- Steve Pavlina – How to Make Money On your Blog – This offers a no-nonsense approach and asks you to decide if you think it is Good or “Evil” to get paid from your blog right up front before you do anything else. (I’m still on the fence about this, guess I’ll have to make up my mind)
- Penelope Trunk – RealityCheck – You Aren’t Going to Make Money from a Blog – This honest perspective suggests that you will waste a lot of time and energy trying to monetize your blog, and instead you should focus on writing for a purpose that is important to you, not for income generation but for career building. A little bit of a downer, but thoughtful nonetheless.
- Conversation Marketing – 5 Ways Your Blog Can Make Money – This blog suggests you can’t make much with AdSense, but some affiliate options can work. Adds some humor into the list by suggesting you can ‘Steal & Cheat’ (Not recommended).
- Solid Blogger – Top 5 Ways to Make Money From Blogging -There are a lot of ads on this site, and Google Sponsored search and AdWords and the works! Wonder if it makes income for this blogger? Well, at least they are practicing what they preach.
- Sites that Pay You to Blog – List of some of the type sites that will pay for blogging
- Dosh Dosh – 7 Strategies to Make Money Blogging – A few unique terms, and helpful ‘advantages’ and ‘disadvantages’ for each
- Why An Ad Free Blog Rocks – Nice perspective on alternatives to ads on your blog
Please let me know of others and I will add them to this list.
photo by wa?.ti?