Overcome Fear to “Win Some or Learn Some”
Today is my last day at my job, and I am taking a step into the unknown. For the last four years, I have worked at the same full time position. In my last post, I outlined the logical and emotional reasons for making a decision on what to do next with my life and career. I also explained that, if all fear was pushed aside, I would choose to follow my heart and do my freelance web design and online marketing, as well as build other business ventures.
The fearful side of my still keeps saying, are you crazy? In this economy? What happens if you fail? How do you know you will succeed?
And of course, the truth is, I have no idea what is coming next. All that I can do is keep my mind in the right place, and put my best foot forward.
Fear and doubt have a tendency to sneak back into your mind at the most stressful and insecure times in your life, when what you really need are feelings of confidence and strength.
For me, though I still experience feelings of doubt and fear, I am now able to recognize my fear as a trigger for the fact that I am out of my comfort zone, and that this will be a good learning and growth period of my life.
The Steps You’ll Need to Overcome Fear and Doubt:
- Recognize the emotional trigger that caused you to feel fear, doubt, etc
- Accept that there are some logical reasons for the feelings
- Acknowledge that, though there are some reasons that you are feeling fear, there is also the strong possibility that things will go the way you want them to
- Accept uncertainty and the unknown as a constant part of life
- Think positive and be confident in your decisions
- Move forward with your best foot forward
- Mission Accomplished: Fear is Overcome
What are the Possible Outcomes of Pushing Past Your Fears?
- You Get What You Hoped or Even Something Better
- You “Fail”, but You Learn From Your Mistakes and Move On
Or, in the words of Jason Mraz: “You Win Some or Learn Some”
I’ve made my decision to give it a try. I have the ability so I am going to take a 2 month test period to see if I can truly build my businesses to support my family.
Here’s My 2 Month Plan:
- I already have a few new and a few big projects lined up, including my other recurring work for clients.
- I am going to re-brand my business, which is currently called AGR Web Designs, to Lead Online Marketing. This will include moving from a sole proprietor model to an LLC, a new website/branding/blog, etc strategy, marketing and better packaged offerings. I have also started to get better with software for my invoicing an estimates (I may to a post/review on those tools)
- I may also do a bit of additional part time work during this time as I build my business
- I will continue to build my timeline/planning templates business
- I’m considering building another small site that focuses on wordpress and/or thesis design, as this market is really booming and I enjoy working in that area
I am afraid, but I am also very excited. And though it is a slightly uncomfortable place to be, it makes me feel more alive and happy about my career than I have been in the last 4 years.